I Can Help
Whether moving regionally or cross country, your relocation presents unique challenges. In your new environment, you are not familiar with the local resources and it’s difficult to find just the right person to perform your moving claim inspection and provide the estimates required by your mover.
Every year I provide over 600 move damage claim inspections. Not only do I provide these services for the general public, but I represent most all of the major van lines, movers, and insurers of corporate transferees. Since the late 1970s, I’ve serviced move damage claims for Allied, North American, United, Mayflower, Atlas, Bekins, and dozens of other independent agents and insurers of household goods in transit.
- Member of the Claims Prevention & Procedure Council since 1978
- Past president and board member for eight years
King – Snohomish – Whatcom
What to Know if You Are Filing a Moving Claim
Do not throw away any damaged items prior to the claim being inspected by a representative of the moving company.
Report any missing items immediately.
Always notify your mover in writing of any damages. Documentation is very important.
Should you need an item (i.e. washer) repaired prior to the mover’s inspection, be sure to communicate your needs to the mover and take notes on who you spoke to and what was said.
Your photos help document the damages and are helpful when communicating the claim to the mover.
Here is what I do to prepare your move claim estimate:
- I perform the inspection in the home.
- My report itemizes all of the damaged items, including furniture, residence damage, and household items packed in cartons.
- The report gives a description of the item, a description of damages, proposed repair solutions, and repair costs and/or recommendations with regard to replacement costs of nonrepairable items.
- When necessary, an explanation is provided with regard to the circumstances in which the damages incurred.
- Digital photos are taken of most items and are included in the report at no additional cost.
- Within 48 hours of my inspection, the claim inspection report and photographs will be sent to you by email.
I network with many other independent third-party services who have expertise in skills outside my area of knowledge. I am able to consult with these businesses and they are willing to assist me in preparing your estimate. This is very convenient to the claimant, as seldom will you have the need to contact other repair vendors for their estimates.
Should you have damaged items of significant high value and require an appraisal, this service is available. More time is required for research and to prepare the report. Additional fees are charged for these appraisals and can be discussed at the time of my inspection.
My inspection fee is based upon the number of items, driving distance, and the amount of research time that will be required to prepare the report. The base fee is $180.00 and takes care of most inspections that I make. The fee for services is payable at the time of the inspection service call.
I do not provide move claim estimates based upon photos sent to me over the internet.