Whether having moved regionally or cross country, your relocation presents unique challenges. In your new environment you are not familiar with the local resources and it’s difficult to find just the right person to perform your moving claim inspection and provide the estimates required by your mover.
Every year I provide over six hundred move damage claim inspections. Not only do I provide these services for the general public but I represent most all of the major van lines, movers and insurers of corporate transferees. Since the late 1970’s I’ve serviced move damage claims for Allied, North American, United, Mayflower, Atlas, Bekins and dozens of other independent agents and insurers of household goods in transit.
- Member Claims Prevention & Procedure Council since 1978
- Past President and board member for eight years
What to Know if You Are Filing a Move Claim
Do not thrown away any damaged items prior to the claim being inspected by a representative of the moving company.
Report any missing items immediately.
Always notify your mover in writing of any damages …. Documentation is very important.
Should you need an item (i.e. washer) repaired prior to the mover’s inspection be sure to communicate your needs to the mover and take notes on who you spoke to and what was said.
Your photos help document the damages and are helpful when communicating the claim to the mover.
Here is what I do to prepare your move claim estimate:
- I perform the inspection in the home.
- My report itemizes all of the move damaged items including furniture, residence damage and household items packed in cartons.
- The report gives a description of the item, a description of damages, proposed repair solutions and repair costs and/or recommendations with regards to replacement costs of non-repairable items.
- When necessary an explanation is provided with regards to the circumstances in which the damages incurred.
- Digital photos are taken of most items and are included in the report at no additional cost.
- Within 48 hours of my inspection the claim inspection report and photographs will be sent to you by email.
I network with many other independent third party services who have expertise in skills outside my area of knowledge. I am able to consult with these businesses as they are willing to assist me in preparing your estimate. This is very convenient to the claimant as seldom will you have the need to contact other repair vendors for their estimates too.
Should you have damaged items of significant high value and require an appraisal this service is available. More time is required for research and to prepare the report. Additional fees are charged for these appraisals and can be discussed at the time of my inspection.
My inspection fee is based upon the number of items, driving distance and the amount of research time that will be required to prepare the report. The base fee is $180.00 and takes care of most inspections that I make. The fee for services is payable at the time of the inspection service call.
I do not provide move claim estimates based upon photos sent to me on the Internet.
I have known Ray Spencer for over 30 plus years dating back to my days owning North Coast Mov & Stg. I have utilized his services for both AVL as well as local claims. He offers an extensive and impressive history in his reports as well as his high quality work. I would prefer the claims dept. selects him as their adjustor on all AVL claims.
Pat Waters – Branch Manager, Hansen Bros. Moving & Storage